Why Working at Quicken Loans Sucks

Why Working at Quicken Loans Sucks I can’t go into Home Depot now without whining that they don’t offer baskets throughout the store. You know, the little ones you carry when your arms are full of duct tape, cabinet door hinges and paint brushes. Just as you’re about to drop everything, you find the one thing you forgot you needed: Swiffer dust cloths. Now, at Lowe’s I could skip to the end of the aisle and drop everything into a basket and be happy.

But, no. I have to get cranky, because I’ve come to expect Home Depot to understand my plight and pre-empt my need with the solution.

I’ve become very critical, and I blame Dan Gilbert.

Dan Gilbert, Bill Emerson and everyone who leads us here at Quicken Loans are to blame for my heightened critical eye, because they all demand excellent customer service. They expect everyone to pay attention. They have created a bubble of excellence that makes it really, really hard to wander outside the walls of Quicken Loans and encounter people who just don’t care, or who have some sort of chip on their shoulder.

Providing great customer service is not hard. In fact, the more you do it, you realize that it’s actually easier to be excellent in the first place, rather than trying to fix the experience after turning off a client or customer. Great customer service really does boil down to the simple things. Anticipating needs and then meeting them. Listening like you are doing the talking. Doing what you say you will do.

It’s easy to find the blatant examples of poor customer service, where the person delivering the service was rude or negligent. I zero in on some of the more subtle things. Like the receptionist who scheduled x-rays for my son.

"I’d like to schedule an x-ray for my son. We want to know if his adenoids need to be removed," I began.

"So you need a [something-something] soft tissue [garbled-nonsense]," the receptionist replied.

"We need an x-ray of his adenoids," I said, hoping to clear up the matter.

"Yes, that’s a lateral soft tissue [garbled-nonsense]," she responded.

Okay. I get it. She knows the "right" terminology. Does that deny my son an x-ray? Of course not. Did she not understand me? She completely understood me. Being elitist does not provide great service. It alienates the customer. Clearly, she was right, I was wrong. (I still don’t know the exact name of the x-ray my son received, but his adenoids are now out, and he’s much happier. Whatever.)

It sucks working at Quicken Loans because this stuff jumps out at me in a bubble where it’s not tolerated. Dan and Bill are out to change the world. I, for one, don’t think it’s catching on fast enough.

Comments

1. I completely agree. I have found myself consistently expecting excellency of others, only to be let down. We can’t assume the world truly wants to provide amazing customer service or even cares what we want. After all, we are only the people standing around with money in our pockets, ready to spend it at their store and be treated like crap for doing so…

Posted by: Kriste | May 9, 2007
  2. Right on sista!

Posted by: Peppermint Patty | May 9, 2007
  3. I wonder if Lowe’s provides the baskets at the end of the aisles because they know their stores are so non-sensibly laid out. I don’t know anyone that can find what they want in a Lowe’s, and good luck finding someone to ask for help!

Posted by: Me | May 9, 2007
  4. Me, I hear ya. However, I generally have a harder time finding things at Home Depot than Lowe’s. But I think that’s because information architecture isn’t an exact science, and I happen to identify with Lowe’s hierarchy.
    At least if neither store has perfect organization, at least one of them is smart enough to provide the basket! ;-)

Posted by: Christy | May 9, 2007
  5. Shop at your local hardware store. Save the world.

Posted by: Rusty Shackleford | May 9, 2007
  6. Aw, man! Rusty, you got me. I agree wholeheartedly with you that local stores bring so much to the community. I love going to my local Ace Hardware (Hello, Melvin’s in Walled Lake!) for paint, propane refills, and all kinds of other things.
    But, I have to admit, Lowe’s and Home Depot bring value, too. The variety and volumes can’t be matched by a local shop.
    I’d have to say that 70% of the time I’m at Melvin’s, 20% of the time is at Lowe’s and a very aggravating 10% at Home Depot.

Posted by: Christy | May 9, 2007
  7. Hi,
    I found your post through a search for the term: home loans blog. I thought your post was a perfect example of using a captivating title and your post, itself, was thoughtful. Thanks for the surrendipitous inspiration.

Posted by: Antietam Mortgage | May 10, 2007
  8. HomeDepot doesnothave basket all over the store,but does position orange buckets at almost every corner…. Don’t have tobuy them… but great for the small stuff.

Posted by: Gary | May 10, 2007
  9. And I’m supposed to intuitively know that’s what those buckets are there for?

Posted by: Christy | May 10, 2007
  10. I’ve always been fascinated when employees go into a rant about how THEIR day is bad, how THEY have been wronged, etc…all because of a question you’ve asked them that has obviously inconvenienced THEM.
    I often feel like saying, “I’m the customer and I don’t care about your problems! Just help me spend my money quickly/painlessly and I will be out of your hair.” Somehow, I don’t think that would resonate with them. :)
    Great post, BTW.

Posted by: E. Long | May 15, 2007
  11. I am not an employee of Quicken Loans, however, I am a student who is studying Quicken Loans. Why would you be upset with your company? They have allowed you the opportunity to open your eyes to all the “wrong” things that others do. This should not upset you! This should make you stand tall and proud to be aware of these things. Not everyone IS aware! Don’t get grumpy about it – stand tall and SMILE! You know your eyes are wide open to your surroundings, you SEE the errors of others ways, and YOU can help to change the world by being capable of seeing things other can not. Even if it is something as simple as a the terminology that made you feel inadequate or the fact you forgot to grab a basket. Don’t blame Quicken Loans – PRAISE them for allowing you this opportunity!
    I did enjoy your post.

Posted by: Pam | April 10, 2008
  12. Pam, I’m sorry to break it to you, but I am neither forgetful nor feeling inadequate. This is a *sarcastic* post. Do you really think I’d still be working here if anyone at QL had taken this seriously? (After all, this is the official blog for Quicken Loans!) It was totally meant as tongue-in-cheek.
    By the way, I never picked on Quicken Loans — I picked on the companies that aren’t moving as fast as us, and don’t “get it.” I’m picking on Home Depot for not seeing the forest for the trees… it’s main competitor gets it, but Home Depot doesn’t even notice. How silly! It really does make me giggle and skip on back to my local hardware store (or Lowe’s when I’m in a pinch) and happily buy what I need so I can cheerfully get on with my fabulous day.

Posted by: Christy | April 10, 2008
  13. Unfortunately, you took the post entirely wrong. I did “get” the sarcasm and humor of your post, however, according to comments I have recently gotten in my email, it would seem to me, among other things, you lack the ability to accept constructive criticism. Your eyes may be “open”, however, your attitude is cold and defensive.
    As I said in the original post, I am not an employee of Quicken Loans – so I missed the “joke around the water cooler” after everyone who does work there, read your post. This IS a pubic blog! Again – SMILE!

Posted by: Pam | April 11, 2008
  14. Yeah, because Quicken has such outstanding customer service *eyeroll*. I have very good credit (720) and send everything they ask for the day they request it, and I’ve been stuck in the loan process for two months now, when I was promised 30-40 days. They hired some idiot appraiser from 3 hours away who took 2 weeks to show up and thinks that a 1″ chip in paint that we would have painted over anyway is a reason to deny a loan.
    My “loan team” is never available. I called both of them repeatedly Monday through Friday during business hours and couldn’t get an answer or callback once. Not at 9AM, 10AM, 11AM, 1PM, 3PM, 5PM… nothing. I’m about to be living in my car once my lease runs out on the rental I’m living in… Woo.
    Anyone from Quicken has no right blasting others for poor customer service.

Posted by: MB | May 7, 2010
  15. Hey MB – I emailed you as well, but I wanted to reach out to you and try to look into your loan for you. You didn’t leave much contact info, so I can’t identify your loan until you contact me. Please get in touch and I’ll do whatever I can to help and speed things up: Kelly@QuickenLoans.com
    Thanks!