Angry Ed is Going Back to Cali

Editor’s note: The DIFF team is sad to see Angry Ed Moffett leave our lovely city for smog-filled, silicone bodied L.A. We wish him well and will miss his wit, sarcasm, cynicism and well, pretty darn good writing. Good Luck and make sure you give us back-stage passes when you get famous. By the way here’s Angry Ed Moffett’s music profile.

Angry Ed Is Going Back to Cali

by Ed Moffett

I’ve been in Michigan for a year now, and I just don’t think I can handle another winter, so I’m going back to California. DIFF president, Clayton Closson requested a departure post. Mind you, I’ll still gladly “contribute,” after I’ve gone – I’ll just be ranting and raving about what sucks from the other side of the country.

Anyway, I needed a final topic – a grand finale’ if you will – something bigger and more interesting than complaints about driving, smoking, or poor customer service in a hardware store. President Closson suggested a contrast, revealing “The DIFF” between life in southern California, and life in Detroit. DONE!

So, where to begin… Hmm. Well, Detroit has SO much to offer. –A lot that I will be very sad to leave. Things you just can’t find out on the West Coast, like the great lakes!!! Miles and miles of beautiful beaches and coastline! Oh wait, I forgot about the Pacific ocean. Hmm… What else? How’ bout the beautiful winter ski resorts up north like Boyne! Oh, Cali’s got Big Bear and Mammoth… Ok, well, what about the exciting nightlife of Greektown and the Casinos? Vegas is only a 3 hour drive from LA. Ok, Detroit’s got clean air! Actually, no, it doesn’t. In fact, it’s #6 on the “most polluted cities of ‘07” list. AH, I GOT IT!!!! Detroit’s got THE TIGERS!!! Umm… right.

But seriously, unless I’m ready to raise a family, there’s not much around here that I need or could perhaps enjoy to any greater degree than the offerings of Los Angeles. I’m strapped for reasons to stay, and when I compare my new quality of life to what I left behind, excepting the time I’ve spent with the people I love, I feel a sense of loss for 2007. So, I’ve opted to return to endless sunny days, year-round outdoor dining, pothole-free roads, running outside in shorts in January, smoke-free bars and restaurants, fresh fish in the markets, orange trees in my yard, my favorite musicians and comedians performing regularly down the street, the beach, the mountains, a surplus of beautiful women, a broader spectrum of cultural options, and perhaps most important, the feeling that “this” is not all there is, and that anything can happen.

So, as of September 20th, I’ll once again be an official resident of Los Angeles. To my new friends from QL, thanks! You’re hands-down some of the finest people I have ever known. It was incredibly easy to get close to you and I’ll miss you dearly. Next time you’re in the city of the Angels, call me up and we’ll go raise some Hell! Well, to be honest, we’ll probably just go out for a quiet dinner and a few drinks – I had to try to be clever with the whole Angels / Hell thing. Sorry.

See ya, Detroit!

Comments

1. I’ll miss you Eddie and the Moffetts! Your wit and cynicism are so delightful that I might make the trip out to the West Coast just to experience it once again.

Posted by: Ann-Marie Murphy | September 17, 2007
  2. We’re gonna miss you too! But we do have some amazing paintings to remember you by.

Posted by: Jen R | September 17, 2007
  3. Good luck, Ed. We will miss you terribly, but wish you the best of luck.
    Go after your dreams, dude. They’re there for the taking.

Posted by: Mike D | September 17, 2007
  4. There was a guy named Ed that worked here? Was he that guy with all the bad art in his cube always complaining about Michigan and reminiscing about his date with Andy Dick?

Posted by: Ed who? | September 17, 2007
  5. I hope you trip on a fault line and choke on a fish taco. Seriously, good luck and enjoy playing for 5 people at those cool LA bars!

Posted by: Clay C | September 17, 2007
  6. It won’t be the same without ya here Ed. Not going to get all mushy like Mike, but you will be missed.
    That said, get off your butt and get that music career going.

Posted by: Aaron E | September 17, 2007
  7. Apparently my last post was too positive for some folks here and not in step with my normal sarcasm, derision and vulgarity, so let me rephrase:
    - Yep, you have the ocean coastline. You enjoy those waves, especially the one that sweeps away your $1.5M 800-sq-ft house and your precious orange trees when the next earthquake hits.
    - Yes, we have the Tigers. And you have the Dodgers, who – as far as I can tell – are good at dodging three things: the strike zone, a knowledgeable fan base, and the playoffs.
    - I’m very happy to hear your bars are smoke free. Of course those are oxygen bars and wheat grass juice bars and whatever, tree-hugging, neo-hippie nonsense you people are embracing. The moral compass of L.A. is about as accurate as a cereal box toy compass in an MRI, but please tell me more about how I should vote and the causes I should support, Hollywood!
    - And as far as raising Hell goes, I’m sure that will be one wild night. Do we start after supper but before Matlock comes on, or how does it work, you old fart?
    Love you, Ed!
    (The views reflected above are not necessarily those of the writer or the Diff blog, rather the rantings of a shameless man giving in to peer pressure like a 12-year-old in a basement party where the host snagged his dad’s half-smoked pack of Winstons and is parsing out “whose cool” badges like Ted McGinley in an 80′s flick)

Posted by: Mike D | September 17, 2007
  8. Well I will be the “diff” in these comments and say that Ed, you will be missed and I wish you all the success you are looking for!

Posted by: Kriste | September 17, 2007
  9. Good luck Ed!

Posted by: Dave Rigotti | September 17, 2007
  10. I look forward to turning on MTV and stumbling across a music video from Eddie and the Moffetts…
    Actually, lets make it MTV U.

Posted by: Mark | September 18, 2007