We’re moving downtown: Quicken Loans and Detroit 2.0

Quicken Loans is moving to Detroit!

A press conference for Dan Gilbert with Governor Granholm and then Diff-Master Clayton Closson is in the newspaper? Something big is going on at Quicken Loans.

Though it will likely be a few years before we pack up in Livonia and start cruising down Woodward, today was an incredibly exciting day for all of us at Quicken Loans and for the great city of Detroit. It was confirmed that the months of speculation were right – we are headed downtown.

As a young career person, I couldn’t be more excited to think about the opportunities Detroit will bring me and other Quicken Loans team members. As a life-long Michigander, I’m ecstatic that Detroit is on the road to revival.

I enjoy the city of Detroit – it probably tops the list of favorite hot spots for my friends and I. There’s loads of things to do – from the fan filled, concert wielding Comerica Park and Ford Field to a university campus to trendy shops and chic clubs and bars. Even the DIA is undergoing a face lift to be unveiled November 23. The beautiful (and profitable) MGM Grand casino and hotel opened last month and The Motor City Casino shows off a remodel starting November 28. Big things are happening in Detroit and Quicken Loans is committed to taking it to the next level – with Detroit 2.0.

"This is much bigger than a headquarters. We’re calling it Detroit 2.0," Dan said this morning. The press conference has since been compared to a pep rally, which I loved. Took me back a little – and I’ll go ahead and rat myself out here – I wasn’t a cheerleader in high school.

I was a notch above in my undying school spirit. I donned the oven-like mascot costume to make sure my team did well. And although we don’t really have a mascot here, I’d put on a flammable, sweltering, exhaustion inducing, fur get-up to make sure everyone knew I was on board for this big game.

Comments

1. Who hoo! Congratulations Quicken Loans and Detroit!

Posted by: Dave Rigotti | November 13, 2007
  2. It feels good to be contributing to the city in this way. I’m pumped.

Posted by: Erica | November 14, 2007
  3. This is AWESOME! Can’t wait to see Detroit as the happening place!

Posted by: JW | November 14, 2007
  4. The Revival is officially underway.

Posted by: Harry | November 14, 2007
  5. My heart has been in Detroit since I was a little kid. I moved downtown 4 years ago and I’m ecstatic that QL is now heading down there.
    Viva Detroit!

Posted by: Jen R | November 14, 2007
  6. nice post, Kelly. I’m glad to do my part to spread love for the D(etroit). I can’t wait to see the progress that’s happenning downtown start to make it the neighborhoods!

Posted by: Clayton | November 14, 2007
  7. Congrats QL!!!!!!

Posted by: Mark | November 15, 2007
  8. Nice job Kelly. I am pretty sure we know where to get you a mascot costume, if you want to go back to the good ole days.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 16, 2007
  9. Moving to the D is definitely a great move for the City of Detroit. I hope that it not only helps the city get back on the right track but it also showcases the talent of one of the best companies to work for.

Posted by: Edson | November 16, 2007
  10. As a Detroit-based company owner, welcome to the neighborhood.
    I do think it’s “Detroit 2.0″ – there are so many great things for employees, contractors and more to do downtown. As an entrepreneur, I put in a lot of after-hours work and have no issues not only finding things to do after work but also feel completely safe.
    It really is a different feel than the area where your current HQ is. Much more life, much more action, and lots of sources of creativity.

Posted by: Jeremiah Staes | November 24, 2007
  11. GREAT!NOW ALL WE HAVE TO DO IS TEAR DOWN THA HORINDUS TIGER STADIUM AND THEN WE CAN REALLY MOVE FOWARD!!DETROIT HAS A HISTORY OF HOLDING ON TO RUN DOWN BUILDINGS BUT IT IS TIME TO LET GO!!!

Posted by: MIKEY | December 15, 2007
  12. Amazing that QL is going to be the heart of Detroit! This transition from the suburbs to the epicenter of Michigan will be a catalyst to the strong and positive change/growth that has changed the face of Detroit. Kudos for QL choosing to stay strong to their foundation! Detroit is a lucky city.

Posted by: Stacy Kumana | July 19, 2009