Destiny Eadie & “Cards from Destiny” honored by The United Way

Destiny Eadie from Belleville, Michigan. by whatsthediffblog, on Flickr

Normally, when I get e-mails from my mother, it’s a fluff forward warning me that if I break the chain, I will have bad luck for the rest of my life or some all caps correspondence bearing the familiar panicked "WHY HAVEN’T YOU CALLED ME?" Gotta love her.

So last week when she sent me an e-mail that started off with something about Christmas cards and "warming people’s hearts," I quickly skipped past it to in an effort to stay focused on actual work. A short time later, I returned to it to find something quite amazing.

She was telling me about a seventh-grade girl named Destiny Eadie from Belleville, Michigan (where I’m from) who has been featured in the Ann Arbor News,  been honored by the Marines and most recently received an award from The United Way and Chuck Gaidica, Channel 4′s weatherman.

For the past 3 years, Destiny has made it her mission passion to collect & send holiday cards to our overseas troops. She was inspired by a website where soldiers can post requests for their troops, AnySoldier.com.

As with most worthwhile projects, Destiny’s project started off with a simple idea: to send warm wishes and thanks to a soldier fighting in the war. But Destiny thinks WAY bigger than that.

The first year, she collected nearly 600 cards in less than a month. In ’06, she garnered 3,600. This most recent holiday season she surpassed 7,000.

Each year she raises her goal. She goes to craft shows and has people -
strangers – sign cards.  She enlists friends, schools, neighbors – anyone – to buy
cards, sign them and then she mails them to soldiers. She spends her baby-sitting money and donations to box them up and ship overseas.

And she continues to do it year round, knowing that a "thank you" or
kind words from home mean something, no matter the day. The project is now called "Cards from Destiny." She knows it’s
not about supporting the war – it’s about supporting the people who put
their lives on the line for us. Her mission continues next week at Compuware Arena as she joins the Plymouth Whalers for their Armed Forces night on February 22nd at 7:05.

So here’s to you, Destiny – you are the epitome of the DIFF.

Comments

1. Awesome story! Thanks for passing it along.

Posted by: Matt | February 11, 2008
  2. Isn’t she an amazing young lady???? Thanks for sharing her story with the world! Isn’t it great to be DIFF????

Posted by: Jan | February 12, 2008
  3. I am so proud of you, Destiny! It’s great how far this is getting, too! Keep up the good work!!!

Posted by: Crystal | February 12, 2008
  4. Thank you so much for all of your kind words!! Just to let you know I sent 7,406 cards out in the 2007 year. If anyone would like to help me you can email me at:
    cardsfromdestiny@yahoo.com
    Destiny Eadie

Posted by: destiny | February 12, 2008
  5. How about Quicken helping her out next year!!!????

Posted by: Larry Abernathy | February 12, 2008
  6. We’d like to thank Kelly LaVaute and Quicken Loans for recognizing our daughter, Destiny, and her efforts in supporting the troops.

Posted by: Mike and Shada Eadie | February 12, 2008
  7. Destiny is such an amazing young lady and one my hat goes off to. She enlisted me and my family in NOrth East Texas to help in this awesome cause. We feel truly blessed to know and love her. God really knew what he was doing when He gave Destiny a vision, and that is to love people right where they are. We should all be a little more like who she is growing up to be. Praise God for one selfless girl who is making a big difference by using the gifts God has given her. When living from day to day let us never forget; someone is always watching.

Posted by: Darla | February 12, 2008
  8. I had the pleasure to meet Destiny and her great parents, Shada and Mike, who have raised a wonderful young lady. Her passion and commitment to supporting those who would die for us is phenominal. At 12 years old she is making a difference. Go get ‘em Destiny!

Posted by: Rick | February 13, 2008
  9. There is hope for America with youngsters like Destiny.

Posted by: Dogman | February 13, 2008
  10. Destiny’s efforts and success are an example to us all of the power of a diffrence one life can make in another just by ,”Forgetting about self” and focusing on others. I have been blessed to see this spirit of selflessness God has given destiny since she was small up to today. What if we all caught that spirit…what a better world on earth for heavens sake we could make it. Please continue to support, pray for, and get involved in this awesome oppertunity…We did and it has blessed our life…God Bless you Destiny…I am proud of You.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 13, 2008
  11. destiny i am so proud of you for always putting others first and the wonderful job you have done with cards from destiny may god bless you always for the wonderful things you do

Posted by: beverly | February 13, 2008
  12. Destiny,
    We just want to let you know how grateful we are for your friendship. You are such a mature young lady. We at United Way are proud to be working with you.
    Rock Financial, please support her effort.

Posted by: Jerry | February 13, 2008
  13. You go, girl! I’m proud to know you and your family and I am so glad to see the good news being spread.

Posted by: Kim | February 13, 2008
  14. congradulations on your faith in the troops and the forsight to send them insights in how we all feel about them. you are doing an amazing job!!

Posted by: carol | February 14, 2008
  15. thanks for all the kind words.
    Destiny eadie

Posted by: Destiny eadie | March 23, 2008
  16. Destiny is an inspiration to many. Please help in any way you can.

Posted by: De-Linda | March 28, 2008
  17. Need to contact Destiny about serving as the Grand Marshal of the Ypsilanti 4th of July Parade.

Posted by: Larry D. Abernathy | May 23, 2008