Häagen-Dazs has a stinger with the Honey Bees

My main girl Kelly LaVaute told me today about a great viral video from Häagen-Dazs with some dancing bees. It’s funny.

Check it out.

I think I could be in that video.

I like the dude who does the Irish stuff.

Kelly found it on the Viral Blog and it truly is viral. The Viral Blog reports it got 2 million views and still going strong. I like it for a number of reasons:

1. when I buy ice cream, it’s always a battle between my wife and I for Häagen-Dazs or Ben and Jerrys
  2. it’s extremely subtle marketing
  3. it’s a great cause – did you know that 80% of all cherries rely on honey bee pollination (according to Help the Honey Bees)? I love me some damn cherries and I say helping the bees will help my stomach
  4. It has a really cool microsite that I just mentioned above. Help the Honey Bees even has a super cool thingy to create your own honey bee.
  5. the dancing bees video is very funny (wait, I already said that)

So props and cheers and stings to Häagen-Dazs for doing this stuff the way its supposed to be done. Plus, they are supporting the bees, which really supports us.

Makes sense?

Comments

1. Daddy,
    I’m glad to learn more about bees and ice cream. I’ll make sure I’ll be nice to bees when I see them next time because I don’t want to give up on my HD cherry or strawberry ice cream. Life won’t be the same without it!
    Love,
    Gro-Gro

Posted by: Grover Goto | August 26, 2008
  2. How many times did you use the word, “viral” in that post?? I stopped counting at a gajillion. Ugh!!
    It’s a really great video. It’s not an infectious virus.

Posted by: Take one wild guess. | August 27, 2008
  3. Hey, c’mon “take one wild guess” – I only used viral twice in that post (unless you consider mentioning the Viral Blog as using viral).
    2 million hits with tons of blogs mentioning the video seems to make it viral to me. You don’t think so? I’m just going by what the Viral Blog said.
    So really, is using viral twice in a post overuse of the word? I think my problem was I used it (as well as mentioning Viral Blog) in two consecutive sentences.

Posted by: Clay C. | August 27, 2008
  4. Please Clayton, for the love of all things holy, promise to call me if you ever decide to don a bee costume and do an Irish diddy?!
    What did I always say?! Save the bees!

Posted by: Lil' Orphan Annie | August 28, 2008
  5. Oh, we’ve had this conversation many times. “Viral” is just a bad word. “Hugely successful” would be more accurate. I’m not arguing whether it’s bringing in traffic, I just hate the term, “viral,” and thought you did, too.
    Besides, you do such a good job on this stuff that I’m really stretching to find a way to heckle you. That’s all!! ;-)
    Now go buy some ice cream!

Posted by: Take one wild guess. | August 30, 2008
  6. TOWG, you have me there. I sort of do hate the word “viral” – but mostly when it’s misused. What I hate the most is when agencies and companies set out to create a “viral” video. “This is going to be a viral video.” As though they have a crystal ball and can predict how the public will react.
    However, if something is cool and worth passing along a mention of, I don’t necessarily mind calling it viral. Like the Lebron Etch-A-Sketch vid we worked on last year. To me that was viral.
    But you are right, I need to get some ice cream. Haagen Daz or Ben and Jerry’s? Hmmm, let me think… Hageen Daz green tea ice cream sounds good right now…

Posted by: Clayton | September 2, 2008