Potbelly Sandwich Works and the Great Mayo Debacle

Potbelly does it right! by whatsthediffblog, on Flickr

I really like hot turkey sandwiches. MMMmmmm.  Right now my favorite sandwich chain is Potbelly Sandwich Works. Like clockwork, I always get a turkey on wheat – skinny. Add in the mustard, tomato, lettuce, a little onion and few hot peppers, oil and Italian seasonings and I am a happy camper. It always tastes the same and it’s always good.

Recently, I ventured to Potbelly for lunch and brought back a sandwich for a coworker and myself. As soon as I cracked open my sandwich, I was met face-to-face with my arch nemesis: mayonnaise.  I am not a fan. It was too integrated with the other ingredients for me to scrape out and there’s no way I could bring myself to eat it. I ended up being able to find someone to give my sandwich to, but I was stuck left eating dinner leftovers for lunch when my heart was really set on a Potbelly turkey sandwich.

So I sent Potbelly a nice little note explaining my lunch fiasco and
they responded in no time. I got an email apology from Jilian at the
head office and a call from John, the manager of the Potbelly I’d
visited. Both were even kind enough to send me an apology card in the
mail along with a few free sandwich tickets!

I’ve been back to Potbelly since the incident and I’m happy to report my sandwich was back to normal, sans mayo.

Although my sandwich was wrong once, Potbelly definitely made up for
it by showing that they do respond to comments on their site and they
do care about their customers experience.

Comments

1. Bravo, Potbelly! Mayo happens to the best of us, but they sure handled it right. That’s the way to keep the customers coming back! And Cora, thank you for sharing your free sandwich tickets with your friends – love my Veggie on wheat with hot peppers. =)
    Oh, and at least you didn’t call 911. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080804/ap_on_fe_st/odd911_sandwich_call

Posted by: Kel L | August 5, 2008
  2. I love this post!! Much like you mayo is my arch nemesis so I completely understand!!!

Posted by: KZ | August 5, 2008
  3. Sorry. Never be a cynic, even a gentle one. Never help out a sneer, even at the devil.
    I am from Seychelles and , too, and now am writing in English, give true I wrote the following sentence: “Knowing how to write a resume is what stops many people from even beginning their job hunt.”
    Waiting for a reply 8), James.

Posted by: James | February 22, 2009
  4. The first package which can turn out to be rather useful and productive
    for you is the better Single rooms. There are a variety of options that one can use for such movements which include;.
    In case of an emergency, you must have the numbers of people whom you may call and they would be easily
    accessible.

Posted by: taxi hire perth | November 28, 2015
  5. Most people using social media are doing so for the same purposes as you – to
    promote themselves and for its social aspect.

A second table can be the actual content of the site.

There are lots of commercial templates available, and frankly, they are
    beautiful, but I am going to give you some hints on where to find free web templates.

Posted by: Banner designer | December 19, 2015
  6. The reason behind the limo service companies provide special services to all the prom goers by
    providing their high quality to them is the do understand
    that a prom comes once in a lifetime opportunity.
    Subsequently, you would want to make it sure that the limo service companies you are considering
    must have a good standing in the community. is among the top 10 largest shuttle
    fleets in the country and metropolitan Washington’s largest provider of luxury
    transportation and government contract services.

Posted by: limos perth | December 31, 2015
  7. one time me and my friend, train, went to potbelly and he told me that the mayo is so good he doesn’t even eat the sandwich he just scoops the mayo off and eats it.

Posted by: ryan kolasinski | January 4, 2016