Steve Madden: 100% Customer Satisfaction? DIFF decides.

[Yo! Update to this post over here.]

Recently got an email from a DIFF reader who had an unsatisfactory experience and wanted to share her story with the DIFF.

Read her email chain below with shoemaker Steve Madden and tell us if you think Steve Madden should use the tag line "100% Customer Satisfaction."

—–Original Message—–

From: [mailto:____@gmail.com
Sent: Sunday, March 21, 2010 10:31 PM
To: info@stevemaddendirect.com
Subject: Complaint

Hi, I have to say I am disappointed.  I purchased my Steve Madden boots roughly two months ago.  After about one month the heals started fraying and coming apart.  I think its highly unfortunate that $100 boots are made so poorly, especially when I am usually pleased with my Steve Madden purchases.   Has the process been changed?  Are you cutting corners to save money?  If so, your prices will need to be changed to reflect the quality change or I can guarantee your bottom line will eventually suffer as more and more customers experience the change.

Though I will probably continue to purchase Steve Madden shoes, I can't say it will be as often or with as much confidence as I had previously.

Thanks so much for your time.

---------------

On Mar 22, 2010, at 10:00 AM, "STEVE MADDEN" wrote:

Dear ____,

Hello and thank you for contacting us!

We would like to sincerely apologize for this less than satisfactory experience. Please note that we guarantee against manufacturer's defect within 60 days from the delivery of the item to your doorstep. Also, please be respectful of the fact that item should not be expected to live beyond the conditions of normal wear and tear. Please let us know if the boot were purchased from our website to further assist you as we were not able to locate the order in our system. Please note that if the boot were purchased from our website we will need your order number, your Zip Code and the e-mail address that was used for placing the order.

Also, please be informed that if you purchased the shoes from one of our Steve Madden retail store we would like to kindly ask you to contact the store and they will be able to further assist you in this matter as we are two different departments and we have different policies. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

If we can be of any further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Thank you and have a nice day!

Sincerely,

Jane

100% Customer Satisfaction Team Member

Phone 1-888-SMADDEN

---------------

From: [mailto:___@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, March 22, 2010 10:07 AM
To: STEVE MADDEN
Subject: Re: Complaint

Hi Jane,

I purchased the boots from DSW. Can you please define what "normal wear and tear" is?  As I only wore the boots to work, I want to "be respectful of that" and make sure my expectations were not too high.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone

—————

On Mar 22, 2010, at 10:34 AM, "STEVE MADDEN" wrote:

Dear ___,

Hello and thank you for writing back!

We would sincerely apologize for all the inconvenience this issue may cause you. Please note that as you purchased the shoes from DSW you will need to contact them into this matter. If by any chance they will not be able to assist you into this matter, please contact us back. Also, we would like to inform you that unfortunately we do guarantee against the manufacturer’s of defect within only 60 days since you purchased the shoes.

If there are more than 60 days since you purchased the shoes we will be unable to help you into this matter.

Thank you for your understanding and have a lovely day!

If you need further assistance, please feel free to contact us back.

Sincerely,
Alexandra
100% Customer Satisfaction Team Member
Phone 1-888-SMADDEN

—————

From: [mailto:___@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, March 22, 2010 10:47 AM
To: STEVE MADDEN
Subject: Re: Complaint

I must say, before this email exchange I would have continued to purchase Steve Madden shoes…now, not so much.

In your effort to take zero responsibility for your faulty product, you have not answered one of my questions. And because I purchased your product at one of your authorized reseller locations rather than a corporate store, I should not expect any assistance from you?

I must say, this is low level.  I would consider removing the tagline from your signature indicating "100% customer satisfaction" as that obviously only applies occassionally.

Sent from my iPhone

—————

From: "STEVE MADDEN"

Date: March 22, 2010 11:25:08 AM EDT
To: ___@gmail.com
Subject: RE: Complaint

Dear ____,

Hello and thank you for writing!

We would like to sincerely apologize for this less than satisfactory experience. Please note that we guarantee against manufacturer's defect within 60 days but, unfortunately, we are two different departments and we have different policies .We appreciate you as a customer and look forward to better serving your needs in the near future.

We do apologize for any inconvenience this issue may cause you.
Thank you and have a nice day!

Sincerely,

Jane
100% Customer Satisfaction Team Member
Phone 1-888-SMADDEN

—————

What do you think, DIFF Readers? Is our loyal reader right or is Steve Madden?

Comments

1. Dear Steve madden
    j am highly and extremely diapionted in ur quality of shoes…
    but don’t get me wrong I love the way your shoes look fit, and feel…..
    But your shoes brake easily and fast and it very annoying I bought 2 pairs of your shoes this yard and one is going in the garbage and the other one i might make an attempt to bring it to a person to fix it. I personally think that your shoes are realy exspensive bu cheap quality or are not made to fit the price!!!!!!!!!!!! So I think tlyou shud either fix the problem and make your shoes to the point that there is less than a 30% Chan e of them brakingno you shud make it a 10% chance of braking or lower the price to less than 20

Posted by: adonya | February 23, 2012
  2. Sorry I didn’t finish my sentence but you should lower the price to lesss than $20 dollars!!!!!! ….. that.k you an please try a. Make your shoes better quality

Posted by: adonya | February 23, 2012
  3. Absolutely disgusted in th poor quality of Steve madden shoes!!! Why th he’ll r they so expensive when they r made so badly?th worst part is that they’re not willing to admitt this and take responsibly. After just two uses, my expensive Steve madden shoes were peeling on th inside and looked terrible. I’m not willing to pay to hav them repaired. So angry!!!

Posted by: Urasha | August 28, 2012
  4. I must agree I was a true steve madden fan for years I probably only wear by boots once maybe twice a year but they fall apart on the second wear to spend $70-$100+ on shoes and boots to fall apart is terrible the quality is getting worse and worse something has to give.

Posted by: Tiffany Johnson | October 10, 2012
  5. I have broken the heel of my new pair of Steve maden shoe. .can it be repaired ?I bought it in dubai. ..is there a place I can take it out here for fixing. .Thanks

Posted by: alice | August 17, 2015
  6. I too have noticed the unfortunate decline in quality with Steve Madden shoes. Slowly but shortly within the first month or so of “normal wear and tear” the shoes just simply begin to fall apart. I do not think i will be purchasing steve madden shoes in the near future due to this. Sad, because I love the style.

Posted by: Samantha rae | August 29, 2015
  7. Long time Steve Madden fan. I love the look and feel of their shoes. I recently branched out and bought some boots, and after only five days, the entire sole of one boot came off. Not impressed Steve Madden, not impressed at all. You can do better.

Posted by: Ryan | March 1, 2016
  8. I purchased a pair of Steve Madden shoes at Saks Fifth Avenue at Opry Mills Mall in Nashville, TN and have the same issue except it was only a month after purchase that they started “falling apart”. How do I proceed to address this issue. Please note that I do not keep receipts.

Posted by: Joshua Anderson | August 15, 2016

You must be logged in to post a comment.